Waters Green House

The History of Waters Green House

 

Waters Green House was formerly Waters Green New Mill and known locally as Lomas Mill. The mill occupies a prominent position opposite Macclesfield Railway Station.

The mill is a four-storied brick built structure with eight bays of windows and a king post trussed roof. The frontage of the mill incorporates glazed yellow and red bricks in intels and stringcourses. These were used architecturally from about 1870.

There has been a silk mill on this site since at least 1769 (when a yearly rent of £3.0.0. was documented).
A large rectangular mill 50ft wide and 110ft long was situated at right angles to the present building, and according to a deed dated 31st September 1875 (belonging to Mr Edmund Lomas) the original mill was still standing at this date.

The new mill was built shortly afterwards, no doubt to incorporate the increasing mechanisation of silk manufacturing processes. It was extended on its rear elevation in the early 20th century and weaving sheds were built for the power looms, which could not be housed in multi-storeyed mills.

Whilst the exterior remains virtually intact the interior has been remodelled and updated and now houses a thriving business centre offering fully supported serviced offices to new and growing businesses.

View Listings